Monday, March 28, 2011

Day 9C--Treadmills

After some consultation with runners, I've decided to mainly work on increasing my distance before I start my official marathon training. I was told to shoot for being able to run between 6-8 miles before April 30th. That means I need to increase my maximum distance by 5 miles over the next 5 weeks. That makes goal setting fairly easy. I will try to run 4 miles this afternoon on the treadmills. Instead of the 5.4 mph pace I ran last week, I will set the treadmill at 5.5 mph. It's not much faster, but I do want to increase my speed a bit, while still increasing my distance. Plus, if I don't increase my speed a bit while increasing my distance, my runs will be taking hours and hours. At 5.5 mph, 4 miles will take me about 45 minutes. That means I won't get home from work until 6:15-6:30, an hour or so after I normally get home. If I can hit both of those goals today, I can do some shorter runs later this week and work on speeding them up.

2 comments:

  1. Rebecca - that's a really good way of increasing your pace, especially just starting to work on going a bit faster. Your body will have a good idea of how the different paces feel like, so when you hit the paths, you will know. The most important thing in running to me is feel. One of the reasons I love it is because I learn so much about my body (and myself, cliches, etc.).

    Also very important - never increase your distance by more than 10 percent each week. Even though it would be nice to hit that distance in a month, be cognizant of not doing too much too soon. It's better to easy does it than risk injury or burning out too soon. It can be a delicate balance, but that's why you train - so you will learn all the nuances of what your body can take and what it likes. I especially like the part about what my body likes to eat and drink after long runs. :)

    Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the 10% increase, is that my total miles for the week or max miles in each run?

    ReplyDelete