Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Dosage



This is a great ad idea for Asics shoes. I don't know if it was an official ad, or just someone online making it. Either way, I think it's pretty brilliant and touches on something I've been thinking about for a while. All ads for drugs discuss the side effects of taking the drug. They even discuss rare and unlikely side effects. What they don't talk about is avoiding the drug.

I don't mean things like allergy or birth control, which are treating issues that are out of control of patients. I'm referring to drugs that are treating real diseases, but the diseases are a symptom of a larger issue. Treating diabetes doesn't solve the issue of excess weight, poor diet and lack of exercise. Treating erectile dysfunction doesn't solve the underlying heart issues that are most likely the cause.

I wish that the FDA would require a disclaimer about how lifestyle changes might eliminate the need for some drugs. It could be included before all the side effects. This wouldn't affect all medications, just ones where it's possible that actions by the patient could eliminate the need for taking a pill. Instead of saying, "Make sure you're healthy enough for sexual activity," the commercial could say, "Talk to your doctor to see what changes you can make to solve your ED."

I know that the pharmaceutical companies would hate this, but I'm sure they hate having to list all their side-effects, too. To me, it's just honest marketing. Yes, people should already know that they might be able to solve their problem instead of just treating it with pills, but it's possible they don't and that should be disclosed to them before asking for their money.

No comments:

Post a Comment