Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Healthful Foods

I found a great list of 44 foods that are both healthful and inexpensive. I know that many people say that it's too expensive to eat well, but that isn't true. Yes, organic vegetables are more pricey than the rest of the produce section, but that's not the only healthful food out there.

In addition to the list of whole grains, I would add bulgur. It cooks quickly, like white rice, but contains more nutrients.

I would also add cabbage, rutabaga, cauliflower and brussel sprouts to the vegetable section.

I'm sure there are other healthful, low cost foods. This is a pretty good list to start with. With some of the items you can make countless different meals for lunch and breakfast.


**I want to explain why I use the word healthful and not healthy as the article does. Healthful means beneficial to health. Healthy means displaying health. So an apple can be healthful, but bruised and not healthy. Just like people can be healthy, but we're not healthful.**

No comments:

Post a Comment