Monday, November 14, 2011

Day 13D--Measurements

I realized that I'm about a month into my workouts and that seemed a good time to get some body measurements to see where I stand, so I have a comparison for down the road. I have taken measurements many times in the past on this blog. They are from 4/30/11, 8/1/10, 4/15/10, 3/14/10, 2/21/10, 1/17/10, 12/26/09, and 12/20/09. What can I say, except that I like numbers. I like being able to see concrete progress.

My weight is currently 138.5, which means a BMI of 24.53. This is less than I weighed in April, but higher than it's been for most of the last two years. I would like to get it down to 120, but anything close to 130 would make me feel better.

My waist is 31 inches. Again, better than in April, but not the lowest it's been.
My hips are 40 inches. Same as April and the highest they've been.

My waist to hip ratio is .77, which is under .80 and the range that shows an increase in risk for heart disease.

According to one site that calculates body fat percentage based on these measurements, I have is estimated to be 31.13% using the U.S. Army body fat algorithm, or 21.42% using the U.S. Marine body fat algorithm, or 33.44% using the U.S. Navy body fat algorithm, or 29.13% using the formula developed by the YMCA. or 28.78% if I average those four together. The average body fat percentage for U.S. females is around 32%, with the ideal at 22%. Athletic females should be around 15-20%. I will continue to strive to lower my body fat percentage. I know that will help me with running and avoiding injury.

Upper chest: 34
Under bust: 31
Thigh: 22
Calf: 14
Wrist: 6
Bicep: 11
Neck: 13
Forearm: 10

Although I really like seeing hard numbers and using them to gauge my progress, I prefer to see fitness as a journey with no real end point. Every day that I exercise makes my body stronger and more able to do things. I am more able to run for the train or lift heavy groceries. I know that losing some more fat will help me do even more things, and that is the ultimate goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment