Monday, March 26, 2012

Cauliflower

Cauliflower seems to be one of the more underrated vegetables out there. It's readily available at most US supermarkets, is relatively inexpensive and versatile. Yet it doesn't seem to get used as often as broccoli, though. A Google search for broccoli recipe turns up more than double the amount that cauliflower recipe returns. Broccoli is slightly more nutritious, but only with a bit more Vitamin A & C. Both are really high in fiber and low in calories.

The reason I compare broccoli to cauliflower is because they are closely related. They are both part of the brassica oleracea species of plants. This species also includes kale, cabbage, savoy and brussel sprouts. These were some of my most-hated vegetables as a kid, but my most loved as an adult. I am looking forward to finding even more recipes to make these vegetables in new and creative ways.

I had pinned, on Pinterest, a cauliflower 'rice' pilaf recipe a few weeks ago and had been meaning to try it. I finally made it tonight. Grating a head of cauliflower on a cheese grater is messy, but it was a super-tasty side dish. A big advantage was that an entire pan of it is fewer than 100 calories. I think I will give it another try when I'm less tired and rushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment