Monday, February 6, 2012

Determination

I am a crafter. I knit regularly and also sew. I cannot crochet. For many people, crocheting is easier. For people who do neither, knitting & crocheting are the same thing. I first tried to crochet when I was about 12 years old. That was also when I learned to knit. I was able to learn knitting right away and have enjoyed it ever since. I couldn't learn to crochet when I was 12, or when I was 20, 25, 30 or 35. I want to be able to crochet, so I try my hand at it every few years, to no avail.

I mention this non-fitness related story because it is exactly how I feel about Yoga. I tried Yoga for the first time when I was a young child. I found a book on the shelf and tried the moves, but was unable to do most of them and quickly became bored and discouraged. I try Yoga every few years because I am not flexible and would like to be more flexible and it seems the best way to reach that goal.

Sadly, every few years when I try Yoga, I am bored and discouraged. I don't like it. This time around, however, I am going to keep doing it anyway. I know that it's good for me and I don't know of a good alternative. I will just push through my dislike to the point where I see results and can have hamstrings that aren't tight.

If anyone has any suggestions on making it more enjoyable, please share them. I think fitness should be enjoyable and really don't want to do something that I don't enjoy. Is there something that will make me feel less ill-at-ease?

UPDATE: I overstated, or underestimated. I tried two different yoga routines and they both frustrated me too much to continue on. One had an instructor that I can only describe as granola. I would rather have him yell at me than sound like Bob Ross. I'm working out, not painting. The other was too difficult & making me dizzy.

No comments:

Post a Comment