Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Hearts

It's February, which means Valentine's Day is just around the corner. That's not the kind of heart I'm talking about, though. February is Heart Month. This is a great time to remind everyone that heart disease kills more Americans than cancer.

Luckily, there are things you can do to help yourself. Cut your sodium intake, stop smoking, get active, maintain a healthy weight, eat fruits and vegetables, choose healthy fats and oils.

The American Heart Association (AHA) offers a quick, online assessment of your risks. It took me about 4 minutes to complete and I learned that although I am doing fairly well on the controllable factors, I could do better.

If you want to help the AHA, you can do so with your workouts. I've raised $7.50 just by working out and logging my activity online.

Remember, like most diseases, heart disease doesn't discriminate. Check out these rich and famous people who are afflicted if you want proof of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment