Friday, February 10, 2012

Inspiration


I have often commented that I'm more impressed and inspired by the runners who struggle. I'm amazed by the guys running 5 minute miles for 26.2 miles, but they don't persevere the way the really slow runners do. I've talked to the 7-minute-mile runners in my training group and they are impressed with the 16-minute-mile runners, too. The dedication it takes to stay out there three times as long as the elites seems to move all runners.

Active has an article today about three runners who came in dead last in races. I know that coming in last is a fear that many new runners have. "What if they close the course down before I finish?" is something I've heard from several people. Yes, the people in the article were running ultra-marathons, not shorter distances, but their stories are still worth a read.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

At my lowest point I wondered, “Why am I doing this?” But there was also a tiny voice in back of my head saying, "You can do this!" It was way in the back.

I thought about my friends and family cheering me on and believing in me. I was here to conquer the distance. Not for time, but the distance. I had always dreamt of running this distance... I was not about to let this dream slip out of my hands. And quite frankly, I had paid $230 to run this damn thing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know I felt this way during a few 5Ks in my life. One when it was raining and one where I was injured and probably shouldn't have run at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment