Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Onion

I think the onion is taken for granted and unfairly maligned. Scott Conant of TV Network's "Chopped" will whine for hours if there is a raw onion anywhere near his food. People will avoid onions because of "onion breath." Onions are never the featured player in a recipe, unless it's French onion soup.

I love onions. I always have. When I was a kid, my dad would make onion sandwiches. Bread, butter, onion, salt, pepper and maybe some sharp cheddar cheese and German mustard. I still eat them, but only when I'm alone. We also used to eat green garden onions as a snack vegetable, just like a carrot or celery.

I think it's time that we appreciate all the onion has to offer. One cup of onion has 2 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber and only 64 calories. That's about 10% of your daily fiber needs. Adding a cup of chopped onions to a recipe is a simple way to increase healthfulness of that dish. Onions are really low on the glycemic index and fight inflammation. They're a good source of Vitamin B6, Folate, Potassium and Manganese, and Vitamin C. They may also help prevent neck and head cancers. Red onions may improve cholesterol.

Onions are also fairly inexpensive and store easily and for longer than most vegetables. This makes them a great way for poor people to get nutrition without breaking the bank. If they're not already a staple in your kitchen and diet, I suggest you add them. If you don't want to believe me, check out this guy's endorsement of the onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment