Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Exercise and thinking


I know that one of the things I love about going for a run is the mental clarity I get. Some of my best ideas come to me while running. I have also found solutions to problems that had been stumping me for ages. This is a great side effect, but merely anecdotal. Luckily, scientists are studying this effect and how to best harness it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A paper published by the Centers for Disease Control in 2010 looked at more than 50 studies in this area and found more than half showed positive links between exercise and classroom performance, said Carol Girdler, a clinical instructor at the University of Iowa College of Education. Less than 2 percent demonstrated a negative correlation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This may not be definitive, but looks to be a pretty safe bet that exercise will help you think better.

No comments:

Post a Comment