Thursday, January 12, 2012

Mashed Potato Makeover



I made myself some roasted garlic mashed turnips for dinner tonight. I used turnips instead of potatoes for the increased fiber and reduced calories. I replaced the butter and cream with tofu to cut fat and increase protein and calcium. As an added bonus, it increased the amount of vitamin C, folate, iron and all the other nutrients that aren't part of the regular food label. The flavor is different; it's sweeter and deeper. It's not an identical switch as far as flavor is concerned, but it's a great way to get that comfort food fix without eating a totally horrible meal.

Keep this in mind the next time you're thinking of making mashed potatoes. I recommend that you use a food processor to puree the tofu before adding it to the potatoes. That will make it creamier and will combine better.

If you have any recipes you'd like me to tinker with, please let me know. I'm always up for a food challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment