Friday, January 20, 2012

My Blog

fitness
I think I need to read my own blog more often. I find that I haven't been taking it to heart. I have been working out consistently since I got off my crutches in October. I had a lot of sloth to overcome, and a little bit of weight gain, too. I have overcome the sloth. I've been able to run 5K in 32 minutes, which is only one second slower than the race I ran last April. So, actually, I'm about three months ahead of where I was last year. I'm also much stronger than I was last year. Or ever, for that matter. I am now able to do a push-up. Straight back and on my toes, not my knees. As a woman, that is a really big accomplishment. Soon, I will be able to do a pull-up.

Unfortunately, I tend to focus on the fact that the number on the scale is not moving. I know all about muscle weighing more than fat and that I'm building muscle and losing fat. I truly believe that and understand it intellectually but taking that and making it my gut reaction is difficult. I want to see the small number on the scale that I've had as an adult. The adult who achieved that small number was smoking a pack a day and couldn't run to catch a train. She was skinny-fat and horribly inactive. I am stronger and healthier than I was when I was at that small number. I need to keep reminding myself of that.

I don't think I'm alone in this negative thinking. In fact, I know I'm not alone. I've heard women who are very active complain about their bodies or their weight. I've seen tabloids make fun of women who dare have any cellulite, even if they're a size two. I've seen all the posts about Marilyn Monroe's thighs, but listened to the posters complain about their own thighs. We as women need to read and believe the Nike ad I posted yesterday. We are more than the measurements.

No comments:

Post a Comment